top of page







Every year Guatemala produces over 8,203,153 tons of waste; only 24.99% of this waste is collected by a proper waste collecting system, leaving 75.01% of the waste uncollected. This waste is usually either burned or buried. By trying to find a way to reduce the amount of waste produced by Tetra Pak in Guatemala, different ways to recycle or reintroduce the product to a new life cycle were sought out. After many months of tests and experimenting with different material combinations, TETRACRETE was created.

TETRACRETE is the result of the combination of shredded Tetra Pak, cement, sand and gravel. TETRACRETE mortar does not include gravel, which is replaced by a fine sand while TETRACRETE concrete does. Standard laboratory testing including humidity, compression, mass and effort, was conducted on both samples to determine their properties and feasibility as a construction material, as well as an alternate material for design projects. The test results were very positive, obtaining a high compression and low mass, which make TETRACRETE unique. 

Both material designs were tested in the laboratory, Mecsypasa Soils, for compression strength, humidity, unit mass and effort to determine their properties and their feasibility as building materials, and for other uses and applications. The tests gave good results and with this, the material was validated


With the results of the tests, it was determined that some of the applications for this new material, TETRACRETE, are for construction, for urban furniture, pots, decorative accessories, poles for light, etc. The low weight of the material and its high resistance to compression are elements that give great versatility to the material.


bottom of page